Friday, February 22, 2019

REVIEW: Delusion: The Blue Blade (2019)


With the 2018 haunt season now dwindling to a distant memory and this fall's impending offerings little more than a faint glimmer on the Halloween horizon, we're in a bit of a creepy dead zone at the moment - such is winter, I suppose. 

And then an invitation appeared in my inbox - an invitation to shake off the shackles of February and tear through the fabric of space and time as a participant in the latest iteration of Los Angeles' renowned interactive play Delusion: The Blue Blade

Really, how could I refuse?





I knew it had been a few years since I had experienced Delusion for myself, although it's never fallen off my radar because fellow Halloween fans are always raving about it. How long had it been, I pondered - four years? Five? 

More like a little over seven, in fact. Oof! Time takes its crazy toll, as they say

Gone was the rambling mansion setting of the first Delusion, as well as the horror-themed backstory. Instead, guests who choose to seek The Blue Blade can expect time travel, action/adventure, and a variety of impressive set pieces that evoke everything from Nazi Germany to the Mayan jungle and beyond. 



Interactive theater has certainly become more commonplace in LA since Delusion's 2011 premiere - in fact, I think it may have been the first interactive play I ever participated in. Impressive effects and an unparalleled attention to detail remain the production's strong points. I loved following various characters from location to location, helping my fellow "initiates" search for clues, and evading danger at every turn. 

Although the story and setting are different, not much has changed in terms of the level of interactivity and physicality Delusion demands from its audience: You can still expect to be touched, talked to, and called upon to perform tasks or solve puzzles (nothing too complex - this is not an escape room). You should still wear comfortable shoes and clothes, and bear in mind that you may be separated from the rest of your group,. 

Occasionally, I found the intricacies of the story a little hard to follow, but I enjoyed the production overall, and Delusion remains a unique voice in the local interactive theater scene that it helped pioneer nearly a decade ago. 


Devoted Delusion acolytes, complete newbies, and those who - like me - haven't visited in years will find something to love about this latest chapter in the saga. And, while it's not exactly horror, it will certainly scratch any Halloween itch that may plague you between now and March 17th, when The Blue Blade will be laid to rest - and, just maybe, a new tale may begin to take shape. 

Delusion: The Blue Blade runs through March 17, 2019. Shows run every Thursday through Sunday evening from 6:40pm to 11:40pm, with showtimes throughout the night. Tickets are on sale now.



4 comments:

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

John Phillips said...

I turn to a vampire any time i want to. i become a vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a powerful man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to human also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded man in my country. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire kingdom by given me their email. All thanks to Lord Shaka for your empowerment if you want to become a powerful vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their EmaiL:(lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com )

Unknown said...



Hi Guys

i really have to tell this i never thought this is what would happen to me so at the beginning of my life i met somebody in email suddenly somebody wrote me





I got on well with her and she is such a good person

So I'm starting to tell, I've never thought to help me offer me and I never thought to make my dream come true
she asks me to come to a power that I have always wished
and she can help any person start a new life the person


she is really a charitable person


it will help you no matter what you want a vampire yours or something else




This is her e-mail


templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com


I hope your dream comes true

Unknown said...



Hi Guys

i really have to tell this i never thought this is what would happen to me so at the beginning of my life i met somebody in email suddenly somebody wrote me





I got on well with her and she is such a good person

So I'm starting to tell, I've never thought to help me offer me and I never thought to make my dream come true
she asks me to come to a power that I have always wished
and she can help any person start a new life the person


she is really a charitable person


it will help you no matter what you want a vampire yours or something else




This is her e-mail


templeofsuccessandlove1@gmail.com


I hope your dream comes true

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin