Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Post-Pandemmy Update

 




Hi. It's been a long time.

Somewhat fittingly, my last post was in January 2020, shortly before the world changed. Needless to say, I've had very little to write about in the way of events since the pandemic began, and very little motivation to try to write about anything else. My depression, always a low whisper in the background, became a scream. But the scream ebbed and flowed -- I've been busy since March 2020, if not productive. How has your pandemic been? In addition to not dying of covid, here are a few (positive) things that have happened to me:


  • My husband and I, as Black Lullabies, recorded a few new songs together after a long, long hiatus from creating new music. We also filmed the music video embedded above, for our song "Crown Shyness."
  • I wrote a short screenplay called "Moon-Sick," which I took to a few film festivals, including Shriekfest (see me interviewed on the red carpet here) and Hollywood Horrorfest, where it won the award for Best Werewolf Short Script.
  • After a lifetime of physical inactivity and struggles with my body image, I took up rollerskating (mostly park and street skating) and, later in the pandemic, aerial fitness. Both disciplines have completely changed my outlook on myself as a physical being, as well as my approach to setting and achieving goals. The feeling of finally learning a skate trick or an aerial move that I've been trying for months is unlike anything else I've experienced. I've also learned to fall -- both metaphorically and quite literally -- and how, if you do it enough, it's not a big deal. No, more than that: It's a necessity. It's part of the process. It's fun!
  • I watched a lot of movies. 
Now, I'm trying to write again, and since nothing helps me punch through the frozen crust on the iced-over pond of my creativity quite like movie reviews, this blog felt like a natural forum for my musings. 

Before I get into it, a few caveats:
  • Not all reviews will be horror movies. Many will be, because that's what I like to watch, but I do watch other things as well.
  • Not all reviews will be of new movies. Many will even be of movies that I, myself, have watched more than once. I just want to get into the flow of writing again, and of sharing my writing with that great void that is the internet.
  • Most reviews will be relatively short capsule reviews. I'm not anticipating any 5,000 word essays here. Then again, who knows what will happen? This post is already far longer than I imagined it would be.
  • I will try to avoid the most egregious spoilers, but no promises. 
With all that being said, if anyone still reads this blog, I'm happy to have you along for this ride, for as long as it lasts. Hope you're still feelin' spooky.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin