Monday, July 26, 2010

Spooky Previews: Black Swan + Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion


How much am I looking forward to Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan, starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis? The first time I heard about the film, it was described as a horror movie. Now, I'm hearing the word "thriller" tossed about, but sometimes "thriller" is just code for "horror movie that may actually be appealing to highbrow audiences," so I'm still excited. Perhaps it's because of Suspiria, but I feel like there's something intrinsically creepy about ballerinas. Plus, I love Portman's makeup in the above shot.

Also very excited to hear that Guillermo del Toro is planning to shoot an all-new Haunted Mansion film for Disney! I enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but their last attempt at a live action HM film (the one with Eddie Murphy, slapstick comedy and lots of CG effects) was tremendously disappointing. I've been crossing my fingers that they would try again for a while now, since I adore the Haunted Mansion, and I think del Toro is just the guy for the job. I don't care whether or not it's family-friendly - I just want it to capture the fun, spooky spirit of the ride.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin